Homestead Radio Hour, March 2010: Small-Scale BeekeepingMarch 19, 2010 by Boorinakis
Homestead Radio Hour, Friday March 19th, 2010
with hosts Phyllis & Julia Boorinakis-Harper
A look at small-scale beekeeping — the why’s, the how’s and the rewards of having your own hive. With special guest experts Janet Brisson and Randy Oliver.
- The Homestead Radio Hour on Facebook
- Keep up with the Homestead Radio Hour on Facebook, including links and comments about the subjects discussed on the show.
- Beekeeping on the B H Ranch
- Take a look inside a beehive, watch a swarm in action, and see how we extract our honey.
- Scientific Beekeeping
- Randy Oliver's Web site
- Country Rubes' Farm
- Janet and Mike Brisson's Web site
- Top Bar Bee Hive: Perfect for Backyard Beehives
- Most beekeepers use Langstroth hives with stacking boxes and removable frames of comb, but some people swear by top bar hives. This page offers an explanation of top-bar hives, as well as instructions for building your own.
- DIY Backyard Beekeeping: A Guide for Beginners
- This slideshow, from The Daily Green, gives a good overview of beekeeping on a small scale: "If you can garden, you can be a beekeeper. It takes about the same amount of time and effort to keep your veggies producing as it does to keep bees."
- National Honey Bee Awareness Day: Getting Started In Beekeeping
- A handy checklist of things to consider if you'd like to get your own hive. ("Bee Day" is on August 21!)
- Bees-Online: Free E-Book On Honey Bees
- This free publication covers stings, swarms, top-bar hives, wheelchair beekeeping, bee removal from walls and ceilings, and much more.